Stress has become an inevitable part of today’s life. Sometimes it might take a different route and you may feel depressed. Stress and depression alter your moods, which affects your capacity to function normally. This is at times also related to being overweight. Reducing weight is advised for depression not only for your health but also to elevate your mood and feel good.
Food you need
Depression is mostly linked with more body weight and low levels of nutrition. You could be lacking in some vital nutrients and it is necessary that you include these in your diet.
- Proteins: Proteins are essential amino acids and their deficiency can be a cause of depression. You need to consume a protein rich diet so as to maintain the optimum levels and also lose weight in a healthy way.
Protein rich foods are milk, fish, meat, eggs, soy, legumes and beans.
- Antioxidants: Certain antioxidants can help you in fighting depression.
Vitamin E – present in nuts, wheat germ, sprouts etc.
Vitamin C – citrus fruits, green leafy vegetables and grams.
- Vitamins: Most of the vitamins are associated with normal functioning of the brain and body. A diet deficient in these can cause mood and sleep disturbances.
Fresh fruits like apples, citrus fruits, pears, papaya etc.
Vegetables like carrots, tomatoes, spinach, broccoli etc.
Others like whole grain products, milk, eggs and fish.
- Minerals: Minerals like iron, sodium, zinc, magnesium, selenium are vital nutrients required in small quantities daily, but their deficiency can have great effects on your system.
Fruits like figs, lemons, grapefruit, raisins, vegetables like lettuce, cucumber, carrots etc. Whole grains, eggs and fish.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: These are good fats associated with heart and brain health. They are also known to improve your mood and reduce complaints of depression.
Fatty fish like salmon, tuna, mackerel, cod liver oil, walnuts, almonds, flaxseeds and soy.
Food to avoid:
There are certain foods that are generally consumed to get temporary relief from mood upsets, but are usually harmful and you should completely stay away from:
Simple Sugars: Example, candies, chocolates, cakes, cookies, soft drinks etc. They are well-known for providing instant energy and a pleasurable feeling, but it does not for last long. Also they contain large amounts of simple carbohydrates which are not advisable for your weight loss.
Alcohol: Although it may seem like you are in high spirits after taking alcohol, it cannot cure your mental disturbances.
Sample meal plan
- 1 glass of low fat milk
- 1 bowl of wheat flakes with milk
- 1 apple
- 1 glass soymilk
- 1 slice of lean chicken breast
- 1 slice brown bread
- 1 bowl carrot, cucumber, broccoli salad.
- 1-2 almonds
- 2-4 raisins
- 1 slice of tuna
- 1 bowl of green grams sprouts with onion and tomato salad.
- 1 bowl of mixed fruit salad
Diet is an important part that determines your health; physical as well as mental. So if you are feeling low, you first need to wait and watch your diet. And particularly when you are overweight, you have a good reason to do so. So add some exercise to your daily diet like cycling or jogging and you can happily lose while beating the blues.