With the feminine genetics, hormonal and other factors, you are more likely to gain weight. This also increases your risk for obesity and diseases related to it. In addition to health reasons, maintaining an ideal weight is necessary to have a fit body, look good and feel confident. If you are about to get married, or you are planning for a baby, losing excess weight has its own merits. If you are in the elderly group, losing weight will keep you active and possibly slower you’re aging process.
When it comes to weight loss in women you will find many suggestions. Also, there are many ‘super diets’ available that claim to make you a lose weight within weeks. But you should be cautious while choosing your weight loss plan as you need to consider your nutritional requirements also.
Your weight loss plan must include food sources that provide you the vital nutrients. Some of the nutrients important for you are given below.
- Vitamin D – Aids in calcium absorption thereby giving strong bones and boosting the immune system.
Food sources: Eggs, fish, sprouted seeds, milk and milk products.
- Vitamin E – Essential for healthy skin and normal reproductive function.
Food sources: Wheat or cereal germ, whole grains, green leafy vegetables and eggs.
- Calcium – Main mineral in your bones. Calcium deficiency can cause more bone loss and increase the increase of osteoporosis.
Food sources: Milk and milk products, whole wheat, oranges, figs, almonds, leafy vegetables like spinach, lettuce, cabbage etc.
- Iron – Major constituent of hemoglobin. A deficiency of iron can cause anemia, which can severely affect your health.
Food Sources: Liver, spinach, beet root, raisins, dried beans, green vegetables, whole grains.
- Folic acid – It is essential for healing process and protein metabolism. Folic acid has to be taken well before conception to prevent possible spine disorders in the baby.
Food sources: Whole grains, nuts, green leafy vegetables, green beans and peas.
Sample meal plan for women
- 1 glass of milk
- 1 egg and veggies omelet (yolk removed)
- 1 slice of brown bread
- 1 apple
- 1 slice of baked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 bowl veggies salad
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 slice of tuna
- 1 bowl sprouts with beet and lettuce salad
- 1 fig
In between: 2-3 nuts OR 4-5 raisins OR 1 glass plain buttermilk
Losing weight can take some time, but it should not be detrimental to your health. Also you should be able to maintain it later. Hence, it is advisable to follow a healthy lifestyle and not just a temporary weight loss program.
A weight loss diet plan is not complete without an exercise routine. However, it is better you check your health status before starting any exercise program. You can start with brisk walking for half an hour daily and slowly increase the time to one hour as you are comfortable. If you have been exercising, you can join aerobics, sports or go for cycling.