Are you planning for weight loss in a healthy way? And are also concerned about maintaining it later? Then this is the right place for you. There are a few things that you need to know before you begin with your weight loss plan.
You can choose a vegetarian diet if you prefer, as it is considered healthy. However, there are lots of healthy foods you can opt from either type of diet. Some foods that will help you maintain good health and prevent the risk of major diseases, while losing weight are:
High fiber: A diet high in fiber is recommended to prevent the risk of heart diseases, diabetes and it also helps in reducing weight.
- Oat & barley products – They are low in calories and rich in fiber.
- Vegetables, legumes, cluster beans and fenugreek seeds.
- Fruits like apples, guava, pear, and pomegranate.
Unsaturated fatty acids: These fatty acids have shown properties helpful in reducing blood sugar levels, lipid levels and also seem to lower the risk of heart disease.
- Fish and fish oil – Salmon, tuna, mackerel and cod liver oil.
- Virgin olive oil, soy, flaxseeds, etc.
- Nuts like walnuts, almonds, etc. They are also useful in improving brain development and function.
Antioxidants: Certain antioxidants can help in removing the toxins in your body and help in preventing major diseases like heart disease.
- Onions, garlic, green leafy vegetables and grams.
- Apples, berries and citrus fruits
- Nuts, wheat germ, sprouts, etc.
In general, a balanced intake would comprise of,
- Grains: 3-5 servings a day
- Vegetables: 4-5 servings a day
- Fruits: 2-4 servings a day
- Fat-free dairy products: 1 or 2 servings a day
- Lean meat and fish: 1 or 2 servings a day
- Nuts, seeds, and dry beans: 4-5 servings per week
Food to avoid
While adding the healthy foods in your daily diet, it is also important that your refrain yourself from certain foods.
- Avoid simple carbohydrates like cakes, cookies, white bread, etc. and replace them with whole grain products containing complex carbohydrates.
- Avoid fried food and additional use of oil, butter or cheese. Use low fat milk and milk products. Opt for lean cuts of meat.
- While shopping, read labels to find the nutritive value of the products and decide accordingly.
Sample meal plan
- 1 cup green tea
- 1 bowl of oats with milk
- 2-3 raisins added
- 1 pear
- 1-2 walnuts
- 1 steamed fish
- ½ bowl brown rice cooked with veggies
- 1 bowl green gram sprouts with tomato, cucumber and lettuce salad.
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1/2 bowl lentil soup
- ½ bowl whole grain pasta with veggies
- 1 bowl mix fruit salad – ¼ orange, ¼ apple and 3-4 berries
In order to lose weight in a healthy way and be able to maintain it later, it is advisable to follow a healthy lifestyle and not just a temporary weight loss program. You can start with brisk walking for half an hour daily and slowly increase the time to one hour as you are comfortable. If you have been exercising, you can join aerobics, sports or go for cycling. Ideally, exercising for 45 to 60 minutes daily can help you lose weight while following a healthy weight loss diet.